This bundle of short vowel word cards with CVC spellings is perfect for beginning readers! These cards make a great word work center, early finisher activity, or morning tub activity. Students simply read the word on each card and use a clothespin to clip the picture that matches the word.
These activities are easy to prep! Just print, laminate, and cut each page in half. I also like to put a colored dot on the back of each card behind the correct picture so students can simply flip the card over to check their work.
If you need an exit slip to quickly assess how your students are doing with this skill, I've also included two read and match printable pages at the end of each short vowel set and added a bonus set of four mixed practice read and match pages available only in this bundle.
See the preview for a closer look!
Cards for the following words are included (122 total):
• Short A: cat, hat, bat (as in the mammal), rat, bat (as in baseball), sat, lap, cap, man, pan, can, fan, van, ran, cab, dad, sad, mad, bag, wag, tag, rag, jam, ham, map, nap, tap, wax
• Short E: web, bed, fed, wed, red, leg, peg, hem, den, hen, ten, pen, just, net, pet, wet, vet, met, get, gem
• Short I: bib, rib, big, wig, fig, pig, dig, rig, him, win, fin, bin, dip, lip, zip, tip, rip, sip, six, sit, bit, hit, mix, fix
• Short O: sob, job, cob, rob, bob, mob, nod, pod, rod, dog, log, hog, mom, cop, pop, hop, mop, top, pot, hot, rot, dot, fox, box
• Short U: cub, rub, sub, tub, bud, mud, bug, hug, rug, mug, tug, dug, gum, hum, sum, sun, bun, nun, fun, cup, pup, bus, nut, cut, hut, tux
Use each vowel set separately or combine for mixed practice!
Looking for a specific vowel sound? Click the product name below to view each individual resource included in the bundle.
Individual sets are $1.50 each. You'll save by purchasing them together as a bundle!
I use this activity as an independent center for my second grade students who are just beginning to learn English and for my Special Education inclusion students who are beginning readers.
They also help to meet the following Common Core Standards for students in Kindergarten and First Grade:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.D: Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words. (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.1.3.B: Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
If you enjoy this product, please consider following my store. I post new products and freebies regularly! You can also visit the “My Purchases” tab when logged into your TPT account and leave feedback on this purchase to earn credits for future purchases.
You can contact me with any questions or requests at email@example.com.
Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles