Learn onset-rime with short 'a' word families, with or without the book, "Rhyming Dust Bunnies," using these multiple interactive activities to practice early literacy skills.
This funny little book is a great big hit with younger children.
It is, mostly, about rhyming words from word families; -ed, -ar, -ug, -og, and -at.
It also offers great opportunities for making predictions based on understanding of both the illustrations and text.
Students need to understand the term, “dust bunnies,” in order to “get” the joke at all. So there is also some predicting to do.
• There are 9 short /a/ word families houses to complete by adding onset letter tiles to match the pictures.
• There are 8 blank smaller houses, to which students can add pictures and/or words. These are available in both color and b/w, and in 2 sizes (the smaller ones fit inside the lap-book)
• There is a lap book project that includes a variety of large and small houses. Again, both color and b/w are provided. There are also photos and directions, if you haven’t made one before.
• There are 2 worksheets on which students match the picture to the word family to which it belongs.
• There are 9 full-sized pages for students to complete. Again, 1 per short /a/ word family.
• There are word family puzzles. The rime is completed, students add initial sounds/onset.
• There are 9 additional half-page sheets; 1 per word family. With words and pictures for students to glue on; you choose which works for your students.
• Pictures are provided for each of the activities, and text is provided for some where appropriate.
You might also like Early Literacy Bundle
and Rhyming with Frog on a Log