CVC Words - Minimal Contrast Short Vowel Word Decoding Activity
Also included in
- Grab this money-saving bundle of two phonics Feed Me activities to actively engage your kindergarten, first, and second-grade readers in decoding one-syllable words with short vowels. Use sets of minimal contrast words to encourage your students to look at every letter when decoding. You’ll have anPrice $8.00Original Price $11.00Save $3.00
Keep your beginning and struggling readers engaged in reading CVC words with this fun Feed Me S’Mores activity. Use sets of similar words to encourage your students to look at every letter when decoding short vowel words without consonant blends and digraphs. You’ll have an easy-to-use way to increase their exposure to phonetically regular high-frequency words and support their development of automatic word recognition.
Minimal contrast words are similar, almost the same words. They frequently differ by one letter or one sound.
I chose 49 phonetically regular high-frequency short vowel words without consonant blends or digraphs from two popular lists, one with 220 words and the other with 1000 words. There are 10 VC words and 39 CVC words. These are the target words.
The target words are presented in pairs and trios contrasted with other similar real words. The only change, typically, is the vowel sound.
There are two sets of s’more CVC word cards. The same words are included in each set. One set has minimal contrast words in pairs. The second set has minimal contrast words in trios. Not all the target words are included in the trios.
Try this read-and-feed activity:
- with your small instructional, intervention, or resource groups
- when tutoring individual students
- in a center
You’ll want to use it for:
- a phonics warm-up
- an exit activity
Your students will take turns to:
- Pick a card.
- Read the list of minimal contrast words on the s’more.
- Feed the s’more to the hungry bear.
- Color a s’more on the optional reward strip.
Take a closer look at everything included in this minimal contrast word activity by clicking the green VIEW PREVIEW button above.
Looking for more decoding activities with the same target CVC words? You’ll want to check out my companion resources, Rapid Word Charts With High Frequency Words and Phoneme Grapheme Matching With High Frequency Words.
- teacher information
- large word cards
- small word cards
- reward strips (3, 5, or 10 s’mores)
- color hungry bear graphic
- color s’mores (word pairs)
- color s’mores (word trios)
- black/ white hungry bear graphic
- black/ white s’mores (word pairs)
- black/ white s’mores (word trios)
Check Out More Resources
Don’t Lose Out
Be sure to follow my store! You’ll receive email updates about new resources and discounts. New resources are often 50% off for the first 48 hours!
Don’t forget to provide constructive feedback. You’ll help me continue to create quality instructional resources that are useful for your classroom.
Better yet, TpT will give you feedback credits that you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
Just go to your My Purchases page. Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the resource.