This resource relates to matching a mixture of CVC words to pictures.
Learning aims: To read and match CVC words to pictures by segmenting and blending.
There are two parts to this resource:
1. Play as a game to practise blending and segmenting;
2. For the teacher to assess students' progress in reading CVC words.
This product contains:
- Teachers' Notes on suggested activities
- 8 phonic CVC Phonic Boards 1 to 8 containing clipart pictures
- 72 word cards
- 24 alien words/pseudo-words
- 8 Phonic color-coded CVC Screening Check Sheets
The boards are color-coded to match word cards. On each board there are 9 CVC pictures and 3 alien pictures to go with the alien/pseudo-words.
There are 9 real words and 3 alien/pseudo-words on each of the 8 picture boards.
- Students learn to read consonant, vowel, consonant(cvc) words via games - students choose any board number (Board 1 to Board 8) which are color-coded with the word cards, e.g. Board 1 (yellow) with yellow word cards. H/she chooses a board and read the word on the card and cover the picture that matches the word. The alien pictures can be covered with any of the pseudo-word cards.
- Students can play in twos/threes - choose the color of their boards and word cards. Shuffle the set of word cards and lay them face down on the table. They take turns turning over a card. If a card matches their board color, s/he reads the word and covers the picture for that word. If the color does not match or s/he cannot read the word, the word card is put back face down on the table.
- Using the word cards only - shuffle a selection of cards and the student reads as many words as s/he can.
Additional use to check progress:
For the teacher/assessor - Optional 8 Phonics screening check sheets - On each sheet there is a list of words that correspond to the set of word cards. Select a set of cards and as the student reads each card you complete the phonics screening sheet.
Please see preview pane of a completed phonic board with cards.
For durability laminate onto card stock or good quality paper Boards 1 to 8.
Laminate each set of word cards and cut out the cards.
An ideal addition to your literacy center.
Hope you enjoy this multi-purpose product.
Thank you for your interest.