This CVCe long vowel, also known as magic e, sneaky e, or silent e, word work resource includes 42 word building mats, 44 puzzles, and 6 cut and paste printables to help your students practice segmenting and spelling words with long a, i, o, and u spelled CVCe. These are perfect for word work centers in grade 1 and grade 2.
Activities for the following words are included:
- cake, tape, lake, rake, date, gate, cane, cape, cave, game, wave, maze
- rice, dice, time, tire, mice, lime, dime, fire, bike, kite, vine, five, ice, bite
– hose, nose, rose, mole, robe, cone, home, bone, vote, note, hole, rope
– cube, fuse, tune, tube, mule, fume, rule
Here’s how to use them:
Word Building Mats
- To prepare these mats, laminate the cards and cut in half if desired. Cards can also be placed in a sheet protector to prolong their use. Students will take a card, look at the picture, and build or write the word. Sound boxes are provided. Magnet letters work well for this activity, but it can also be done as a write-and-wipe activity using dry erase markers. Two recording sheet options for each vowel and mixed practice options are included. If you do not wish to use the recording sheets, you can make these activities self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card. I recommend going over the pictures as a whole group before doing this as an independent center activity.
- To prepare these puzzles, laminate and cut out the pieces along the solid lines. If you are making multiple sets, I suggest using a permanent marker to place a small colored dot on the back of each piece in a given set. This makes it easy to keep the sets together if groups are working in close proximity and will save you time later. Recording sheets for each vowel and mixed practice are also included. If you do not wish to use the recording sheets, you can make these activities self-checking by writing the word on the back of the top piece.
See, Build, Write Cut and Paste Printables
- Students cut and paste letters from the bottom of the page to build a word matching the picture shown and write the word. Each printable page contains four words to build and write. One page is included for each long vowel, along with two mixed practice options. Perfect for a center or quick assessment! Just print and go!
This resource is also included in both my CVCe Bundle
and Let's Build Bundle
. Save by purchasing multiple word work activities together!
You may also be interested in my CVCe Fix it Sentences
and CVCe Read and Write Our Classroom
If you and your students enjoy this product, please consider following my store. Freebies and new products are posted regularly. You can contact me with any questions or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles