Guide your students to a deeper level of understanding of the poem, "Caged Birdâ€ by Maya Angelou. This Common Core aligned activity leads the students through a pre-reading abstract vocabulary study, during reading rhyme and imagery activity, and a post-reading analysis.
The students will be able to:
- Analyze and define abstract vocabulary
- Visualize poetic imagery
- Interpret the intent of a poem
- Identify symbolism in a poem
- Identify rhyming words
- Utilize skills and vocabulary that are common in high-stakes exams
The design of the activity is also effective with English language learners.
Common Core Standards:
2. Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development, summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
10. Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
This resource is also available in MSWord format.
Caged Bird - Poetry Analysis Lesson
by Scott N. Forrest
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Key Words: Poetry, literature, SDAIE, test prep, reading comprehension, guided reading, Scott Forrest, scaffolding, ELD, ESL, EFL