This activity is great to integrate the concepts of graphing ordered pairs and calculating perimeter, area and surface area. Students are expected to:
1. Plot and label each ordered pair to create a rectangular prism.
2. Color in each side a different color (blue, red, yellow).
3. Label the measurement of one side (the side that can not be calculated by counting boxes).
4. Look at each colored rectangle and calculate the perimeter and area.
5. Calculate the surface area of the entire rectangular prism.
All formulas are given. Answer keys are included.
I usually do the first one together as a class. The second one is completed independently in class and then we go over it. The final one is homework.
This is a challenging yet motivating activity that my students really enjoyed. Have fun!