I noticed my students starting to get fussy during calendar time at the carpet mid-way through the year, so I decided to take action and put calendar time in their hands!
This is a great way to get students to individually practice their calendar skills.
Ways to use:
- Give time for the students to decorate the calendar to help them demonstrate what the month is like (for example: December may have snowmen or snowflakes decorated along the outside perimeter of the page, etc.)
- Have a student volunteer or helper come up to the board/calendar and demonstrate to the rest of the class what they should have done (or do) in their own calendar booklet.
- As an assessment tool to determine each students individual level of understanding.
- Individual, cooperative, or partner work, etc.
- A morning work activity.
- A new booklet is given each month and used regularly (if not daily). The second and third pages can be renewed throughout the month, or used only occasionally to have students practice these skills throughout the month.
- And many, many more ways!
There are 3 different booklets, depending on your needs.
This booklet includes:
- Calendar (including: "Today was...", "Yesterday was..." and "Tomorrow will be..."
- Weather Tracking
- Class Pattern (note: for this, I usually go down the class list and let the student of the day pick / decide what the next pattern should or could be)
- Counting by... (2's, 5's and 10's)
- More or Less (from 20 to 15, with 4 to make your own)
* This booklet is completely customizable upon request. Please e-mail me if you have a different idea or use that you would like me to include.