This project includes a written research report, choice product and oral presentation guidelines. Students will research a selected explorer and prepare a written paper that details the following:
1. Introduction - Explain who your explorer is as if you were sharing information with someone who has never heard of them.
2. Background - What is your explorer’s country of origin (birthplace)? Do they have any special training, apprenticeships or experiences that prepared them for their explorations?
3. Intended Discovery - What was your explorer’s intended discovery?
4. Actual Discovery - What did they ultimately find or discover?
5. Conclusion - What is your explorer known for today?
This research is supported through a graphic organizer that allows them to track their facts and source numbers for citing sources, if required.
In addition to their paper, students will choose from five different projects to demonstrate their learning. They will share these projects with their teacher and classmates through a prepared and rehearsed oral presentation.
Included in this unit are directions for the research paper, choice product, and oral presentation. Rubrics are included to be sent home for students and parents.