This large California Mission Bundle with Text Dependent Questions for Close Reading contains a wide variety of resources needed to teach a rigorous unit on California Missions. It includes CLOSE Reading nonfiction passages to help teach your students about the California Missions (not familiar with CLOSE reading? It’s okay, we have instructions and anchor charts to help you incorporate it into your teaching). There are text dependent questions
aligned with each passage, a set of vocabulary cards with definitions to accompany the passages, A California Mission Research Report, and much, much more. A variety of other graphic organizers and activities are included as well.
We do encourage you to supplement with any other books, videos, and websites that you already use; they will blend nicely with our CLOSE reading passages. You can use this unit in its entirety, or “pick and choose” the components to meet the needs of your students.
This unit contains the following elements:
• California Missions Research Report - template to be used to write a complete report about missions. Within this template, a portion is dedicated to the California missions in general, and second part about one specific mission that the student researches. This report format can also be used as a performance task.
• CLOSE reading nonfiction passages with illustrations:
1. Passage One- An Introduction to the California Missions
2. Passage Two- Mission Settlement
3. Passage Three-Mission Life
4. Passage Four- Junipero Serra and the Missionaries
• Vocabulary cards with definitions for each CLOSE reading passage
• CLOSE Reading Instructions PowerPoint ( or handout) explaining the steps of CLOSE Reading
• Anchor Charts for student annotation and Discussion Topics for CLOSE Reading
• “Text Dependent Questions”, to be used after all passages are read; this is intended as a summative assessment, or practice in citing textual evidence and giving examples from the reading of nonfiction text
• Common Core Essential questions (to be used after all passages are read, can be used as a summative assessment or a performance task)
• RAFT ideas (explanation included if you’re not familiar with RAFTS)
• Cognitive Content Dictionary (to be made into a “book” for student vocabulary words, definitions, and pictures
• KWL Chart ( you can use this at the beginning of the unit to ascertain what they may already know about the California Missions)
• Venn Diagram to compare and contrast similarities and differences.
• A Tree Map Graphic Organizer ( a grammar component for students to analyze the words in the passages and their parts of speech)
If you like this product, please check back soon as we will be posting new products in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will promptly help you. You can send us a “Question” through our store or email us at email@example.com
The Teacher Team
Here are some other items you may be interested in:
Butterfly Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions – Butterfly Report Included
Ecology Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Planets-Solar System Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Human Body Systems Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Volcano Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Animal Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Dinosaur Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Earthquake Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Plants Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Weather Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Copyright 2018 The Teacher Team
All Rights Reserved by Author
Permission to copy for single classroom use only
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display.