Products in this Bundle (2)
Also included in
- Are you planning to add social emotional learning activities to your classroom this year? This toolkit will help you weave SEL into your everyday routines and not just into random social emotional learning activities. Create a calm corner to help students learn self regulation skills. Try yoga poses$16.00$25.50Save $9.50
If you need to create a space where students can learn to independently manage their feelings and use strategies, this calm corner kit is it. A calm down corner is an essential social-emotional learning tool for every K-3 elementary classroom.
The resource is set up to step by step guide students through self-regulation. They identify feelings, choose calming strategies, reflect on how it worked and decided if they are ready to return to learning.
HOW IT WORKS
There are four customizable parts of your calm corner: calm corner sign, feelings visuals, calming strategies, and a calm down process poster. Each part is provided in multiple variations so you can make the calm corner work best for your classroom.
Do you have a specific name for your calm corner? There are 15 different names based on teacher feedback.
Do you want students to interact with the materials? There are options to use velcro with any of the materials so students get hands on.
Want to keep it simple? There are materials provided with fewer feelings and strategies to support younger students.
Need it in digital? It is now available in Google Slides.
PARTS OF A CALM CORNER
- 15 Different Signs based on customer feedback. See preview above for the different names included. Please contact me with any additional requests.
- Calm Down Steps Poster: This poster shows students the 4-Step Process for calming down.
- Feelings Posters and Cards: 27 feelings and emotions.
- Calming Strategy Posters and Cards: 15 calming strategies.
- Portable Social Narrative Booklet with the steps for the break spot.
- Suggested Calm Corner Materials List
Calm Corners do not work perfectly right away. There are six guides included to teach students the routines that will make the spot run smoothly:
- How to go to the break spot.
- What to do in the break spot.
- How to use different calming strategies.
- How to know when you are ready to return.
- How to rejoin the group.
- What to do when someone is in the break spot.
Components provided in color, black and white, portrait format, and simplified for younger students.
- Interactive Google Slides lead students step by step through calming process.
- 18 Calming Strategies: Students choose strategies that work for them.
- Printable PDF checklist of strategies for students to track.
What emotions are included? Angry, Sad, Surprised, Happy, Scared, Annoyed, Disappointed, Embarrassed, Excited, Nervous, Furious, Lonely, Silly, Shy, Focused, Curious, Calm, Confused, Strong, Bored, Proud, Confident, Sick, Hot, Hungry, Thirsty, Tired.
What strategies are included? Draw, Use Calm Box, Ask For More Time, Self Hug, Take a Walk, Relax for 5, Blow Bubbles, Drink Water, Talk About It, Wall Push-Ups, Deep Breaths, Mindful Minute, Counting, Write About It, Listen to Music, Think Happy Thoughts, Read.
Other Questions? Ask below.
WHAT TEACHERS ARE SAYING
"The "Take a Break" spot is one of the most-used areas of my classroom. I like that students have to identify their feelings and find a strategy that will help them calm down. If you're thinking of having a cooldown area in your classroom, I would highly recommend this product!"
"I love the visuals that are on this product. My kinders come back to learning with a clear mind after a minute or two in the calm down corner."
"It is convenient and I love items that kids can not only utilize to calm down but are hands on so they can take more ownership of their feelings."
"Why didn't I buy this sooner?! So many options for how to print and use and a great resource. Taught how to use it in a first grade room and students love it!"
Social Emotional Workshop (c) 2015-2021