This activity is designed to help students understand how political campaigns operate by giving them the chance to run their own campaign. Students will need to make decisions based on the peculiar background of their candidate, the positions their candidate is seeking, and the financial resources available to their candidate. During the campaign, students will also encounter a surprise twist that could dramatically influence the way they run their campaign. Although much of the information is fictional and light-hearted students will be challenged to think seriously about many of the most important aspects of a successful political campaign.
Included are the following materials:
- A short PowerPoint to display on the day of the activity
- 8 Candidate Bio sheets (see instructions below)
- Item/Activity and Cost sheets (see instructions below)
- 3 News Article sheets (see instructions below)
- Printable Worksheet for completing weekly budget