Relate camping to , , , and in upper elementary! All activities are rigorous, engaging, and upper elementary focused!
You can transform your classroom into a campground or just work through a theme, either way these high level activities will keep your students engaged!
**GOOGLE SLIDES DIGITAL VERSION NOW INCLUDED***
How will this help the teacher and student?
Engagement- Students will be engaged the ENTIRE time you are learning about camping and working with the theme!
Integrated- All subjects will have lessons relating to the camping. You will teach math, science, social studies, and reading all with the same theme!
Rigor- These activities are higher level and really make your kids think deeply.
Low Prep- Almost all activities are print and go!
All activities have a teacher guide included for extra instruction.
Digital Version on Google for All Activities Included
1. 6 Reading Rotation Activities (including a checklist, mad libs, two reading articles with compare and contrasting, a reading comprehension activity, listening to reading activity, and a teacher lesson on visualization)
2. Campfire Song Writing
3. Scary Story Writing
4. Two Mentor Text Lessons (text features & inferencing)
5. National Parks Research Project with Mentor Text
1. “Save the Bears” Math Review Activity (reviews adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, rounding, graphing, and area and perimeter)
2. “Make the S’mores” Word Problem Race (one and two step word problems in all operations)
3. Pack the Food- Money Activity
4. Plan the Trip- Time Activity
Social Studies Activities
1.Make a Campground (Econ and Cardinal Directions)
2. Make a Camping Timeline (Timelines and Research)
Solar Oven or Foil S’mores
What are others saying?!
Kelly- I used this for my students who didn't go away to camp with the rest of the class. They had a blast and enjoyed all of the activities!
Jodi- This summer I taught summer school and camping was my theme. The activities matched well with the students I taught and the activities were fun and students enjoyed them
Andrea- This is great!! It was perfect for my camping room transformation. Everything was ready to go! Highly recommend.>>>Read about Camping Week Here!<<<
I loved the theme of the Camping, but realized that it was mainly only being used in lower grades. I wanted to use it upper elementary, so that we could have a fun end of the year theme week! That is why I created a unit where the students would be engaged, but also learning and practicing higher level skills! I hope your kiddos are as engaged as mine are during this week!
The Friendly Teacher