“Canada! Canada’s Landmarks”
This resource is designed for students in Canada (and is particularly good for Canadian Identity units) but could also be used by students eslewhere in order to learn more about Canada.
Seven activities are included:
(1) a 4-page True or False activity about 11 of Canada’s landmarks. I have chosen landmarks, both man made and natural, from every area of the country. The landmarks are: the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Baffin Island, Mount Robson in BC, Dinosaur Provincial Park in AB, Fort Qu’Appelle in SK, Hudson Bay, Niagara Falls in ON, Vieux-Québec, Bay of Fundy in NB/NS, Green Gables in Cavendish, PE, and Signal Hill, St. John’s, NL.
(2) You Make the Questions - students formulate questions about one of the landmarks which they can use as interview questions to ask someone who has visited one of the landmarks or to research the answers themselves;
(3) Design Two Postage Stamps - students choose two landmarks and create their own postage stamps:
(4) Make Your Own Pinning Board - I have created a pinning board layout (students could easily make their own) where students can cut out images from online or draw their own pictures, and add captions;
(5) Alphabet Brainstorming - students come up with words that relate to Canada’s landmarks or landmarks in general (they can choose to do a general list or a list related to one particular landmark);
(6) Ranking the Landmarks - students choose the five Canadian landmarks they would like to see the most and explain why, and also how the landmark relates to their identity as Canadians;
(7) Review a Video - students review an online video about one of the landmarks.
I have indicated on the page that they may be assigned one by their teacher or given the option of choosing their own. In this instance, you may want to give students choices of a few videos you have already screened!
This resource comes with a complete answer key for the T/F section. I have included brief explanations to the left explaining the “false” answers.
This listing is one of a series of resources about Canadian Identity. Please have a look at my other related products:
Symbols of Canada
Quizzes All About Canada
Canadian Identity 14 Passages and Activities
All four resources can be purchased in a bundle at a discounted price:
Canadian Identity Bundle
This resource is also part of my Canadian Identity Mega Bundle of 9 resources which is priced at a discount for buying all nine together:
Canadian Identity Mega Bundle
Please check out my resource on Canada Day:
Canada Day Activities