In this 17 file package, you will find an assortment of custom made powerpoints, worksheets and resources introducing and taking a closer looks at Canada’s First Nations history, traditions and culture.
These resources were created for my special education class, but are an appropriate resource for primary grades 1 through to 3. The powerpoint presentations, accompanying worksheets and various activities are a great way to introduce and familiarize your students with aboriginal cultures and traditions and incorporate this important part of our Canadian history in your classrooms.
•The powerpoints were made with Microsoft Powerpoint through a Mac/Apple device.
•The worksheets and any accompanying activities are uploaded in PDF format
This package includes:
1. Different Aboriginal Groups – Powerpoint
2. Different Aboriginal Groups Activities
- Powerpoint Follow Along Worksheet - As you go through the “Different Aboriginal
Groups” Powerpoint, students can follow along by filling in the blanks. This gives
you a great opportunity to stop and discuss key points, and ensure students are
engaged and following in the presentation.
- Cut and Paste Sorting Worksheet – Cut out pictures and sort/paste into the
3. Migration – Powerpoint
4. Shelters – Powerpoint
5. Shelters - Check For Understanding Worksheet
- Did students follow along and understand the lesson about shelters? (Goes
along with powerpoint for take-up)
6. Shelters - Trace/Cut/Paste Worksheet
- Matching pictures and descriptions of the various Aboriginal shelters discussed
throughout the lesson
- Images and descriptions are easily matched to shapes and numbers for
independent work – perfect for an independent centres activity
7. Transportation – Powerpoint
8. Transportation - Check for Understanding Worksheet
- Check For Understanding Worksheet – Did students follow along and understand
the lesson about shelters? (Goes along with powerpoint for take-up)
9. Clothing – Powerpoint
- Includes Step-by-Step guide on how to make a traditional headdress (craft) –
(Materials not included).
10. Aboriginal ABC Book
- Students will trace the vocabulary words and colour the pictures in their alphabet
book, while learning new terms relating to Aboriginal culture and traditions.
11. Baking Bannock Powerpoint
- Great whole class assignment! Prepare the ingredients and have students work
in teams to make their own batch of bannock bread! Step-by-Step instructions
with graphics. Turned out delicious!
12. Canada’s First Nations Colouring Page/Title Page
13. Vocabulary Cards