Canada’s Native Peoples, Aboriginal Culture is a collection of 9 activities arranged on a “choice board” designed in a tic-tac-toe format. Students could be assigned to complete 3 in any direction, or even all 9 over the course of the unit as individual or group work.
I have generally followed Robert Marzano’s Instructional Strategies in creating the activities. The activities are:
1. Comparing and contrasting the Aboriginal peoples of Canada before and after
First Contact with Europeans;
2. Reading information on the Museum of Ontario Archaeology website and completing questions;
3. Writing about the challenges Native and Inuit Canadians face today in an effort ot preserve their cultural icons and values;
4. Creating a webquest that other students can complete;
5. Creating a storyboard and a written description that illustrates an Aboriginal myth/legend of the student’s choosing;
6. Completing an internet search on a particular Native Canadian reserve;
7. Reading a two page history of lacrosse on filacrosse.com and completing a T/F activity;
8. Comparing and contrasting a Canadian Aboriginal group with one outside of Canada;
9. Creating a “pinning board” on one facet of Aboriginal arts/culture with photos, etc. found online (or students could draw the illustrations themselves).
Flexibility is built into this product so that you the teacher can use its components as best suits the needs of you and your class! The activities would work well as part of an interactive notebook and several could be used as jigsaw activities.
Please check out my store for other Canadian Native Peoples products - this item is included in my large bundle of 7 products:
Mega Bundle of 7 Items