This Canadian Social Studies geography unit will take your students on a trip across Canada. Upper Elementary students will study the natural resources, landforms, climate and more of each physical region. Because of the multiple versions included, this unit works for in person teaching, distance learning as well as a hybrid model. Students will visit the 7 geographical regions of Canada. These include:
• The Cordillera Region
• The Interior Plains Region
• The Hudson Bay Lowlands Region
• The Great Lakes St. Lawrence Lowlands Region
• The Arctic Region
• The Appalachian Region
• The Canadian Shield Region
What’s in each version?
Google Slides Version:
- 48 self guided Google Slides that students can work through independently or as a whole group. These slides include videos, information, questions, moveable pieces and more! The slides are designed to work in a distance learning or hybrid model as minimal teacher assistance is needed. These slides are no prep!
- Ideas for differentiation including using Google Read and Write (Most of the text on the Google Slides is fully editable so that this extension will work. Furthermore, this means that you can change the slides to suit the needs of your students.
- Answer Key
- A teacher guide that includes ideas for creating a fun and engaging learning experience for students. These optional fun activities do require additional teacher prep and materials.
- A teacher guide that explains your options for sharing the Google Slides with students
PDF Printable Version
- A scrapbook page for each of the geographical regions of Canada with student samples
- Detailed lesson ideas for each region that include:
- read aloud suggestions
- Sample Pages that you can use as an answer key
The following objectives from the Alberta Grade 5 Program of Studies are met:
• the variety and abundance of natural resources in Canada
•the diversity of geographic phenomena in Canada
•the environmental significance of national parks and protected areas in Canada
•the land sustains communities and the diverse ways that people have of living with the land
•the influence of the natural environment on the growth and development of Canada
•the geographic vastness of Canada
• demonstrate care and concern for the environment through their choices and actions
• What are the major geographical regions, landforms and bodies of water in Canada?
• How do landforms, bodies of water and natural resources affect the quality of life in Canada?
• What are the differences and similarities among the geographical regions of Canada?
• How is the geographical region they live in different from other regions of Canada?
• What are the factors that determine climate in the diverse geographical regions of Canada (e.g., latitude, water, mountains)? (LPP)
• How are Canada’s national parks and protected areas important to the sustainability of Canada’s natural environment?
• In what ways do natural resources and the physical geography of a region determine the establishment of communities?
• How are natural resources used, exchanged and conserved in Canada?
• Whose responsibility should it be to ensure the preservation of Canada’s national parks and protected areas?
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask in the Q&A section and don’t forget to check out the preview!
See the preview for a free PDF sample lesson of the Cordillera Region.
See the video preview to check out the digital Google Slides version!
Note: The printable file is NOT editable. Please check out the preview to ensure that it will meet your needs!
The digital version is PARTIALLY editable.
Don’t forget to check out my other Social Studies Products!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to
login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button.
Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and
leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you
feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your
feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your
classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and
click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates
about Chocolate Covered Classroom Creations! ☺