This resource includes information on the history of Acadia from its first settlement until the expulsion (deportation) of the Acadians in the 1750’s.
1) The first page of the resource is a list of 16 vocabulary words used in the first four passages. These are best completed as the students read each passage;
Following the vocabulary page, there are four one-page informational texts:
2) Acadia, an Introduction; 3) Acadia’s Early Years; 4) Caught in the Middle; and 5) British Rule;
-- Each of the four passages has a pre-reading question which can be used as a discussion point in class as well.
-- Each passage has a separate page of questions relating to the text.
--The final question on the page is a research or opinion question. Answer keys are included.
6) There is a fifth passage, “The Oath of Allegiance and its Aftermath” which is shorter in length, has no pre-reading question but does have an activity in which students record “3 Facts I Learned”, “2 Questions I Still Have” and “1 Opinion I now Have”;
7) A one-page “word wall” activity in which students record six words of their own choosing that relate to the history of the Acadians. They provide the reason they think each word is appropriate. An example is provided to get them started. This would make a great discussion or group activity! There is no answer key for this activity as it is subjective;
8) Finally, there is a two page Multiple choice quiz which also includes two short-answer questions. There is an answer key for this activity.
Please have a look at my other resources for 18th century Canadian history:
The Seven Years’ War
All three resources above and The Acadians are available at a discounted price in the following bundle:
18th Century Canadian History Bundle of 4 Resources