Historic Places of Canada – Set of 15 graphic organizers and 5 activities. This unit is for Western and Northern Canada (MB, SK, AB, BC, YK, NT, and NU). A bundled set for the whole of Canada and separate set for Eastern and Central Canada are also available in my store.
Included in this product are graphic organizers for 15 of Canada’s Historic Places, as found in the Historic Place register at www.historicplaces.ca (this website is maintained by Parks Canada). The 15 consist of Historic Places found in the seven provinces and territories above. A complete list of the Historic Places can be found in the preview (Checklist) – the breakdown by province and territory is: 3 from each province and 1 from each territory.
The graphic organizers can be used in a variety of ways - only limited by the needs and imagination of the classroom teacher. They can be used in part for studying a specific area - Social Studies, History, Geography, and Language Arts. They provide an excellent way for students to research a specific topic. They are very good teaching tools for hands-on history. All 15 can be used, or any number the teacher decides.
There is a blank box on each graphic organizer - I left it this way for each teacher to decide what they would like students to add - a specific research question could be asked, or students might be assigned to draw a map, diagram, etc.
Although the photos and some of the graphic designs in this product are in colour, everything reproduces well in black and white.
A checklist with corresponding page number is included for the 15 graphic organizers. This allows the teacher and students to work through all of them, or check off the individual historic places they will be researching. It also serves as a Table of Contents for the graphic organizers.
1) A creative writing activity where students create a magazine article or blog post about one of Canada’s Historic Places. Suitable for grades 7-10;
2) A creative writing activity for younger students to create a postcard sent from one of Canada’s Historic Places. Suitable for grades 5-6;
3) A video activity based on a Parks Canada production about L’ Anse aux Meadows, NL. For all grades.
4) A general research activity that can be applied to any or all of the graphic organizers, for all grades; and
5) A local history activity, for all grades.
Answer keys, photo credits, and a teacher’s guide are included.