This is a zip file that includes everything you need to teach about Capitalization, Types of Sentences, and End Punctuation. I usually teach this the first week or two of school, so files are included with this lesson with "get-to-know-you" activities that incorporate learning the concepts. This file includes notes, PowerPoints, activities, homework, practice sheets, daily grades, a study guide, and 2 versions of a test.
All items are Word or PowerPoint documents that can be easily modified to meet your personal needs.
***These documents have been created so that if you start at the beginning with the notes, and do the activities and worksheets, then the test goes right along with it.
This zip file includes the following:
1. Guided Notes on Capitalization (see the thumbnail)
2. Answer Key for Guided Notes on Capitalization
3. PowerPoint to go with Guided Notes on Capitalization
4. Guided Notes on Types of Sentences and End Punctuation (see the preview file)
5. Answer Key for Guided Notes on Types of Sentences and End Punctuation
6. PowerPoint to go with Guided Notes on Types of Sentences and End Punctuation
7. Whose Line Is It Anyway Instructions (a game to play to reinforce Types of Sentences)
8. Practice Strips (an activity to reinforce Capitalization and End Punctuation)
9. Practice Strips Answer Key
10. Scrapbook Page and Rubric (a GREAT get-to-know-you activity to reinforce Capitalization-see thumbnail for a sample)
11. Write a Letter (another GREAT get-to-know-you activity to reinforce Capitalization, Punctuation, and Types of Sentences-see thumbnail for a sample)
12. Homework Practice Sheet
13. Let's Get Retro Worksheet
14. Let's Get Retro Answer Key
15. Proofreading Problem Solvers Worksheet
16. Proofreading Problem Solvers Answer Key
17. Multiple Choice Worksheet
18. Multiple Choice Worksheet Answer Key
19. Study Guide
20. Study Guide Answers
21. Test: 20 questions (Multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank. Goes directly with the study guide)
22. Test: 20 questions Answer Key
23. Test: 50 questions (Multiple choice only. Some questions go with the study guide, but some go with previous worksheets, and some questions are more difficult. All questions are skills learned from notes or practice.)
24. Test: 50 questions Answer Key
Some of the questions are repeated from practice to worksheets to the study guide to the test to reinforce the skills and allow the students to feel successful.
Here's a sample lesson plan format that I would use to teach these concepts:
Day 1: Guided Notes on Capitalization using Notes and PowerPoint. Allow students to start working on Part 1 of Homework sheet.
Day 2: Go over Part 1 of Homework sheet. Guided Notes on Types of Sentences and End Punctuation using Notes and PowerPoint. Allow students to start working on Part 2 of Homework sheet.
Day 3: Go over Part 2 of Homework sheet. Do Practice strips and play Whose Line Is It Anyway. Assign one of the Activities (Scrapbook page or Write a Letter) for Homework OR these Activities could be done in class.
Day 4: Do a Worksheet (Let's Get Retro, Proofreading Problem Solvers, or Worksheet Multiple Choice). Allow students to use their notes. Grade worksheet together in class.
Day 5: Do another worksheet without using notes. Grade worksheet together in class.
Day 6: Do another worksheet or Types of Sentence Around the World (Play like Math Around the World, but the teachers says a sentence. The first students to tell what type of sentence it is moves to the next person. The first student to make it all the way around the room wins the game).
Day 7: Do the Study Guide in class. Go over it together in class.
Day 8: Test (or if you prefer to give your students more time to study, you can wait). Activity you assigned for homework can be due on this day also.
**If you do the activity in class, then you can extend the lesson a couple of days. You could also assign sections of the worksheets for homework if you do an activity in class.