Capture the Flag by Kate Messner is a great story for upper elementary and middle school students. Anna, Henry and José meet for the first time while snowed in at a Washington, D.C. airport the morning after the Star-Spangled Banner is stolen from the Smithsonian Museum. The story that follows includes a fun cast of characters, excitement and suspense as the three children try to investigate the heist on their own.
I highly recommend it to students that enjoyed Operation Redwood by S. Terrell French, From the Mixed-up Files of Basil E. Frankenweiler by E.L. Konigsburg, or Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein.
This book makes a wonderful novel unit for the whole class or for small reading groups. It works well with fifth, sixth and seventh grade independent reading levels and can be easily used as a read aloud or for advanced literature circles in fourth and fifth grades.
This novel unit includes common core aligned activities:
• Chapter Comprehension Checks with answer key (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL. 4.1, 4.3, 5.1, 6.1, 6.3, 7.1)
• Character Map using evidence from text (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL. 4.3, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1)
• ‘Top hat’ compare/ contrast graphic organizer (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL 4.3 4.4, 4.6, 5.3, 5.9)
• Writing Prompts & Pre-writing Graphic Organize (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.4.1. A, 4.1.B, 4.1.C, 5.1.A, 5.1.B, 5.1.C, 6.1.A, 6.1.B, 6.1.E, 7.1.A, 7.1.B, 7.1.E)
• Idiom Matching (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.4.A, 4.5.B, 5.5.B, 6.5, 7.5)
• Literature Circle Role Sheets (5) (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL. 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4)
• Making Inferences (CCSS.ELA.LITERACY.RL.4.1, 5.1,6.1, 7.1)
• Cause and Effect page & blank (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.3, 6.3, 7.3)
• Optional Starter Glossary- source: vocabulary.com (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.4.C, 5.5.B, 6.4.C)
Also included: Optional extension activities and Star-Spangled Banner lyrics.
Cover page in color with the rest of activities in black and white for easy printing and copying. I used original designs by TPT sellers: clipart by Erin Bradley Designs and a Sketchy Guy; borders by Paula Kim Studio and Dancing Crayon Designs.