Give your ESL/ ELL/ EFL/ EAL/ ESOL newcomer students a fun way to learn/practice who, what, where, when, why, and how! This card race game engages learners in a fun competitive way, while reinforcing question words. A skill SO important to practice with ESL learners.
***The activity includes two versions of play.
Play with 2-5 students:
- Distribute the blue sentence cards to your students. Give each student 2-5, depending on their English language abilities.
- Hold up one of the red question word cards.
- Have students choose a sentence from their pile that best works if they put that question word at the start of their sentence.
- Give students “points” for those sentences that work.
- Encourage your students to read the sentence out loud or in their head to see if it sounds right. Give them plenty of time to process in between each round.
Play with 6+ students:
- Hang the question word posters around your room.
- Partner students into groups of 2 or 3 and give each group a stack of sentence cards.
- Assign each group a color, or shape, or let them choose their team name. Have them write this on each of their sentence cards.
- Students then work in their team to tape their sentence card onto the correct question poster.
- Have the students help you grade! Put a team at each poster and the students take turns reading the full sentence out loud. Ask them to tally a point on the sentence card if it’s correct.
- At the end, have your students go grab all of their sentence cards and they can count up how many points were earned.
Leaving feedback gives you TPT credits to use for future purchases! Thanks in advance!
Please make sure you are able to open this file type before purchasing.
- These products were created by ©ELL Breaking Barriers and are copyright protected.
- Download for individual/classroom use only. Please purchase additional licenses to share with collogues.
- Do not share or copy downloads. Products are not to be used for commercial use and by downloading the copyrights remain with ELL Breaking Barriers.
- This download contains copyrighted graphics. You may sell, redistribute, recreate, or use in your own commercial creations.
- Pictures of my product are allowed, with credit included & a link to my store.
****Resources you might like****
ESL Progress Monitoring, LISTENING, SPEAKING, WRITING K-5
Engaging Games and Activities
Teaching Character Traits
ELL Breaking Barriers