Give your ESL/ ELL/ EFL/ EAL newcomer students a fun way to learn/practice survival English! This card race game engages learners in a fun competitive way, while reinforcing much needed English.
Questions and answers included:
1.What is your name? My name is…
2.How are you? I am happy!
3.How old are you? I am __ years old.
4.Where do you live? I live in…
5.Where are you from? I am from…
6.When is your birthday? My birthday is on…
7.What is your phone number? My phone number is…
8.What is your address? My address is…
9.Who is your teacher? My teacher is…
10.What grade are you in? I am in…
11.What school do you go to? I go to… school.
12.May I go to the bathroom? Yes, you can go to the bathroom.
***The activity includes two versions of play.
Play with 2-5 students:
- Lay out the blue answer cards in front of the students.
- Give 1 student the pile of pink question cards. The student needs to lay down the question card on top of the matching answer card. Have them do this as fast as they can, and time each of your students. Check their answers at the end and give them a score with # correct and time it took.
- Repeat for all of the students, see who does it the quickest with the most accuracy!
Play with 6+ students:
- Separate your class into 2 groups. Equally divide the question cards among half of the kids. Then, equally divide the answer cards among the other half of kids. Depending on the number of students, if you take out a question card, be sure to also remove that answer card from the deck.
- Students with the question cards compete against each other to find the person who responds with the matching answer. Students must only read the words on their card. Once a student finds the correct answer, they can check their match with you and move on to their next question card in their pile. The person to get rid of all their question cards first wins!
- Switch, so students have a chance to compete and work with both the question set and answer set.
Leaving feedback gives you TPT credits to use for future purchases! Thanks in advance!
Please make sure you are able to open this file type before purchasing.
- These products were created by ©ELL Breaking Barriers and are copyright protected.
- Download for individual/classroom use only. Please purchase additional licenses to share with collogues.
- Do not share or copy downloads. Products are not to be used for commercial use and by downloading the copyrights remain with ELL Breaking Barriers.
- This download contains copyrighted graphics. You may sell, redistribute, recreate, or use in your own commercial creations.
- Pictures of my product are allowed, with credit included & a link to my store.
****Resources you might like****
ESL Progress Monitoring, LISTENING, SPEAKING, WRITING K-5
Engaging Games and Activities
Teaching Character Traits
ELL Breaking Barriers