The Discover Your Dream Career Curriculum will help students find their passion and lay the foundation for obtaining their dream job.
This curriculum was created by Chip Hiden and Alexis Irvin - authors of the book "Build Your Dreams" (Running Press, 2013). The duo also created the hit documentary "The Dream Share Project" about people with their dream jobs and have hosted screenings and workshops at over 200 colleges around the country.
The full curriculum includes all five lesson plans to help students identify and pursue their career goals:
Lesson Plan 1: Discover
Lesson Plan 2: Explore
Lesson Plan 3: Launch
Lesson Plan 4: Fund
Lesson Plan 5: Adapt & Thrive
This file includes all the lesson plans and it will help students:
• Connect their interests, values, and personality traits to potential career paths.
• Discover how the past can influence today’s dream.
• Learn from their hero's career paths and achievements.
• Transform problems into a catalyst for positive change.
• Choose one potential dream career to explore further.
• Identify individual milestones needed to achieve your dream.
• Learn about the day-to-day work of a dream job.
• Prepare for trial runs by creating and editing a resume, cover letter, personal website, and social media links.
• Take action and start pursuing a dream.
• Accept fear as a natural part of pursuing goals.
• Identify resources and talent in their network.
• Discover techniques for earning parental and peer buy-in to their dreams.
• Uncover the reasons for procrastination.
• Assess their schedule and make more time for working on a dream.
• Reflect on your spending choices and values
• Assess their current finances
• Create a budget for pursuing a dream
• Identify methods for reducing expenses
• Learn fundraising techniques
• Learn to compromise and persuade to achieve a goal
• Create a back-up plan to deal with failure
• Increase their chances of success through practice, education, and
lowering the stakes.
• Craft a list people to network with.
• Define success on their own terms.
Be sure to check out TheDreamShareProject.com for more information and feel free to email Chip with any questions at Chiden2 (at) Gmail.com.