Extend the learning after reading a popular Christmas book with your Cariboo game! Included in this file are picture cards for ten books:
1. The Polar Express
2. If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
3. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell
4. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas
5. A Christmas Carol
6. The Gingerbread Man
7. The Twelve Days of Christmas
8. Bear Stays Up for Christmas
9. Snowmen at Christmas
10. Who Will Help Santa This Year?
(You don’t have to have the Cariboo game to use these book companion cards. You may use the cards on their own, targeting the same skills.)
If you do have the Cariboo game, simply slide the cards in the doors or attach with Velcro.
Following the reading of the book, use these companion cards to target…
1. Comprehension- Ask questions for which the pictures are the answers. For example, “Where did the train go?”
2. Sequencing- Sequence story events, such as, “What did she eat first?”
3. Description- Have students identify an item based on a given description, such as, “This item is tall, green and decorated for Christmas.”
4. Vocabulary- Ask the student to identify the item. For example, “Find the sack.”
5. Following Directions- Give students temporal directions, such as, “Choose the rabbit after choosing the bear.”
6. Listening Comprehension- Retell the story, using a cloze manner, in which students choose an item to fill in the blank. For example, “The gifts were all burned up by ___.”
Please note: The above books are not included in the file. They must be purchased separately from a book retailer. Thanks!