Extend the learning after reading a popular Winter-themed book with your Cariboo game! Included in this file are picture cards for ten books:
1. There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow
2. The Three Snow Bears
3. The Mitten
4. The Hat
5. Bear Snores On
6. Froggy Gets Dressed
7. The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
8. Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
9. The Snowy Day
10. Snowmen at Night
(Please note: You don’t have to have the Cariboo game to use these book companion cards. You may use the cards on their own, targeting the same skills!)
If you do have the Cariboo game, simply slide the cards in the doors or attach with Velcro.
Following the reading of the book, use these companion cards to target…
1. Comprehension- Ask questions for which the pictures are the answers. For example, “Who lives in the igloo?”
2. Sequencing- Sequence story events, such as, “What did she eat first?”
3. Description- Have students identify an item based on a given description, such as, “This item keeps your hands warm in the winter.”
4. Vocabulary- Ask the student to identify the item. For example, “Find the cat.”
5. Following Directions- Give students temporal directions, such as, “Choose the rabbit after choosing the bear.”
6. Listening Comprehension- Retell the story, using a cloze manner, in which students choose an item to fill in the blank. For example, “The snowmen drank __________.”
Please note: The above books are not included in the file. They must be purchased separately from a book retailer. Thanks!