Who doesn't love a carnival?! They are fun with rides and good food! You buy tickets and head to your first attraction, the Mirror House! You quickly get lost in the Mirror House and you start to freak out. Your friends and you look for the exit everywhere! Finally you see an emergency exit and you are so happy! But there is a giant lock on the door is blocking your exit! You will have to use math to unlock the lock and leave the Mirror House! YOU CAN DO IT! Keep calm and unlock the locks!
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing adding and subtracting numbers less than 1,000, counting coins and bills, elapsed time using a number line and solving problems with a pictograph. This download contains all that is needed to perform an amazing digital breakout in your classroom!
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT!
The TEKS seen in this breakout are: 3.5A 3.4A 3.4C 3.7C 3.8A 3.8B
Perfect for third grade and beginning of fourth grade!
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to:
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices.
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Have a Google Drive and Login for the Google Drive
4. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, Sites etc.)
NUMBER 3 and 4 ARE VERY IMPORTANT! CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!
To test your school's security settings:
1. Share this "testing site" with your students. If they can see the testing site, then out of domain settings are allowed. Here is the Site: TESTING SITE
2. On the testing site there is a word that is hyperlinked. Students will click on the hyperlinked word and if they are allowed to make a copy of the resource that is embedded, out of domain sharing is allowed.
If both 1 and 2 work, then all of my breakouts will work in your classroom!
Please see the preview file for additional information.
Check out my Third Grade Google Activities!
Whole Number Place Value and Comparing Numbers Google TEKS 3.2A 3.2B 3.2D
Rounding Numbers and Using Compatible Numbers to Add and Subtract TEKS 3.2C 3.4b
Adding and Subtracting Numbers TEKS 3.4A and 3.5A Google Classroom Ready!
Problem Solving With Elapsed Time- TEKS 3.7C Third Grade Google Ready!
Problem Solving with Counting Coins and Money TEKS 3.4C Google Ready!
Problem Solving with Graphs TEKS 3.8A and 3.8B Google Ready!
Financial Literacy 3rd Grade TEKS 3.99A 3.9B 3.9D 3.9E Google Classroom Ready
Multiplication Models TEKS 3.5B 3.4D 3.4E Google Classroom Ready!
Problem Solving with Multiplication TEKS 3.4F 3.4K 3.4G 3.5C Google Ready!
Problem Solving with Division- TEKS 3.4FHIJK 3.5B 3.5D Google Ready!
Problem Solving with Number Pairs and Patterns TEKS 3.5E Google Classroom Ready!
All About Fractions! - 3rd grade Google Ready! TEKS 3.3ABCDEFGH 3.7A
Check out my Third Grade Digital Breakouts!
Reach for the Stars- Digital Breakout Place Value Comparing Numbers and Rounding
Carnival Conundrum : Digital Breakout Adding Subtracting Time Money Pictograph
Wild West- Digital Breakout Division Facts & Arrays, Number Pairs, Even Odd
Weird Science: Digital Breakout ALL ABOUT FRACTIONS! 3rd Grade
Magical Multiplication Digital Breakout- 3rd Grade Multiply 2 digit Arrays Facts
Follow Me so you can be notified about my latest resources! (Click the star near the Math Chick icon)
You can also follow me on:
Math Chick Instagram
Math Chick Facebook
Math Chick Pinterest
Math Chick Blog
Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org