This is a science lesson plan to help your class build a Cartesian Diver. It includes a worksheet and a book extension activity to go along with the story "The Chick and the Duckling" by Mirra Ginsburg.
I regularly use my Science and Literature Connections with my students. In my classroom, I start by reading the story to my class. Then we perform the science experiment. After completing the science experiment, we complete the reading comprehension activities. I hope your students like this as much as mine do.
If you like this one, be sure to check out my other Science and Literature Connections
Density Column: A Science and Literature Connection
Included in this resource:
1. The science lesson plan for building a Cartesian Diver.
The lesson plan includes teacher prep, a materials list, and step by step directions with photographs.
2. An explanation of the science behind the experiment
3. A record keeping sheet for the sink or float activity
4. A comprehension worksheet for the book "The Chick and the Duckling" by Mirra Ginsburg
5. Two worksheets to go with the non-fiction book "Ducks" by Gail Gibbons