"Casey at the Bat" Unit - Poetry Lessons and Poetry Activities
What educators are saying
This is an extremely detailed, CCSS-aligned unit. Student read and analyze the poem "Casey at the Bat" by Ernest Lawrence Thayer. It is designed to help students analyze what the poem says explicitly as well draw inferences from the text. Students will determine the poem’s theme and analyze the theme development over the course of the text. In addition, students will investigate word choice, figurative language, and mood. Students will acquire a range of general academic and domain-specific vocabulary words in this unit. In addition, students will develop a strong understanding of the elements of narrative poetry in this “Casey at the Bat” Unit.
Students are actively engaged in this unit on “Casey at the Bat” through writing prompts, work with partners, plot event presentations, small group activities, figurative language centers, word choice circles, and multiple creative readings of the poem.
Topics of Study:
- Poem Analysis
- Narrative Poetry
- Words in Context
- Plot Sequence
- Word Choice
- Mood Analysis
- Figurative Language (Alliteration, Simile, Personification, Onomatopoeia, Hyperbole)
- Unit Overview
- Daily Detailed Lesson Plans
- Poem - “Casey at the Bat”
- Student Packet (with all in-class activities and lessons)
- Plot Event Analysis Worksheets
- Word Choice Activity
- Vocabulary Word Activity
- Figurative Language Centers
- Formative Assessment - Comprehension Check
- Summative Assessment - Test
- Teacher Modeling Keys
- Notes and Assessment Keys
Check out these super fun Doodle and Do resources for poetry!
- Langston Hughes – Poet and Poem Study --- Doodle Article and Interactive Poetry Analysis Flip Book
- Maya Angelou – Poet and Poem Study --- Doodle Article and Interactive Poetry Analysis Flip Book
You may also like...
- "The People Could Fly" Folktale Study and Analysis Unit
- Speech Analysis Unit --- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
*** Click HERE to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
Brain Waves Instruction