The notion of being “bicultural” or “bilingual” is a pertinent and current topic in the Spanish speaking community. Grant your students access to the trials and tribulations of moving to a new country and getting acclimated through the award winning book/ movie “Casi una mujer/ Almost a Woman” by Esmeralda Santiago. Esmeralda moves from Puerto Rico at the age of 13 and is faced with the challenge of adapting to a new culture and learning English.
Much more authentic way to show a movie in class and opens students up to contemporary issues. Bundle includes activities relating to both the book and the movie.
Check out everything included! Easily 3-4 weeks of materials :-)
This bundle includes:
- Bicultural research project that can be completed at the start of the unit
- Over 50!! Reading comprehension questions for chapters 2 & 3 (30 pages) of the book. Book can be purchased or rented from your local library. (Sorry, I can’t post it due to copyright infringement).
- Answers to the reading comprehension questions. Woo hoo!
- Packet for the movie including: pre reading questions, comprehension questions, post viewing questions, an activity with the subjunctive and the movie, a poem and questions that relate the poem to the movie. Over 30 questions in total!
- Song- Oye como va
- Review sheet for the exam
- Comprehensive exam on the unit including: character identification, multiple choice questions, quote explanation, a reading (selection from the book) and corresponding questions, short essay
*Hint- I found several copies of the DVD at my local library. The movie was made by PBS so it is VERY school appropriate.
All materials are in Spanish. It can be easily modified to English for a lower level Spanish class.