If you're looking for something to help struggling learners while also extending the excelling students, this writing assessment will do the job! Get your students thinking beyond Catcher and honing those argument skills.
This bundle includes all the necessary materials for writing a beginner level argumentative essay about whether Holden belongs in a mental institution or not. This is an essay to be written at the of end of the novel study.
This essay has 4 body paragraphs with one being the counterargument. You can change this to include just 3 body paragraphs. My students also integrated one quotation in each paragraph since this in an introductory assignment to argument writing. You can change this to include two per paragraph for advanced learners. There is no refute in this assignment, just a counterargument.
Included in this bundle:
1. Two brainstorming charts about Holden's psychological state throughout the novel - Holden's normal teenage behavior and an analysis of psychological qualities - students can do this while reading.
2. Directions for essay, which includes a brainstorming chart of Holden's traits so students can choose their side of the argument. On the back is a graphic organizer for students to flesh out the first body paragraph.
3. Key for the essay brainstorm from #2
4. Graphic organizer to guide students to write the entire essay (4 Square format). This is helpful for struggling learners.
5. PowerPoints for writing the Introduction, Body paragraphs, Counterargument, and Conclusion. These also include student examples!
6. Essay checklist so students can check work independently
7. 3 revision day sheets - each focuses on one part of the essay: Body, Intro, Conclusion.
8. Grading Rubric
Common Core Standards included.
Check out the Catcher in the Rye reading guides to use before the essay, which is available in my store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Catcher-in-the-Rye-Reading-Guides-2577665