Catcher in the Rye Text-Based Response Writing is an essential resource for use alongside Catcher in the Rye, ideal for grades 6-8, and 9-12. Please see our preview for more information
• This resource is a series of questions that encourage evidence-based answers, paragraphs, and essays. These questions come in Difficulty LEVELS A, B, and even C – meaning they are ideal for an instructor who may need more, or less, involved writing from their students. More importantly, they are ideal for the DIFFERENTIATED CLASSROOM.
• This resource is specifically designed to encourage students to use text-based evidence, retrieve appropriate quotes, and write about them in a meaningful way.
This fulfills Common Core Standards: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.W.1:
Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
• QUESTIONS are LINED for those who will hand write, and also with come with TEXT BOXES for those in a paperless classroom.
• Questions for THEME: loneliness; the concept of “phoniness;” innocence; and others. There is a question for SYMBOL as well as for CHARACTER.
• 7 Questions at LEVEL A require students to find text evidence and quotes. An additional 11 Questions at Level B or C, which require greater critical thinking and effort. Examples may include: how does this symbol change during the course of the novel and what might that signify; what is this character’s role and significance, based on other information you have gleaned from the text?
• A TOTAL of 18 text-based response writings.
ALSO INCLUDED FOR YOU:
1. A MINIMUM of TEN “Use Ideas” that you may implement. Our goal is for you to use this resource over and over, to use it in a variety of ways. We hope this 2-page insert will help.
2. BENEFIT OVERVIEW
3. Sheet for EACH the handwriting and the paperless classroom version.
4. THANK YOU for being a teacher – in this 57-page packet, we are including (not in the price, but for free), 2 “student accountability” sheets, one “general rubric” and an “outline helper.” These sheets are a sincere thank you to our customers for patronizing us, and for the good work they do every day.
5. Table of contents – for easy reference.
Thank YOU AGAIN for RATING US! When you do, you get credit to shop anywhere in the TPT universe!
DID YOU KNOW???
Our Catcher in the Rye Graphic Organizer Fortune Teller
is purposely MEANT to be compatible with the product you are reading about right now? Together it makes your unit easy, but also solidifies retention of important themes, symbols and characters for your students.
If you need another LOW- to NO-PREP Writing PRODUCT:
Writing Tasks to Improve CC Skills. SET THREE, Grades 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 – World Issues
. Whether you get our sixth set, or our first, you may find yourself seeing how wonderfully simple, and SMART, they really are. Together all 6 sets are over a year of nonfiction writing forms in manageable bite sized chunks. And the themes are great: Literary; World Issues; U.S Pride; Character Ed. (civics); Fright Fest (and otherworldly phenomenon); or just plain Wacky and Fun topics. We cover bio and autobiography, research, noting sources, letters, argument, opinion, how-to, and much more, all in task card form. This edition is world issues and covers social ills and asks students to research and also suggest solutions.