Spoons: The Card Game
"Spoons" is a fun game targeting students' understanding of categories.
Included in this product is one set of cards with a color cue
(for students that are just beginning to understand categories) and one set without a color cue
(for more advanced students nearing generalization).
• Arrange the spoons in the center of the table.
• Use 1 less spoon than the number of people playing (i.e. use 4 spoons for 5 players).
• The dealer shuffles and deals everyone 4 cards.
• The remaining cards are placed face-down in a stack in front of the dealer.
• The dealer takes a card from the stack and puts it into their hand.
• The dealer will place a card they don’t want in their hand face-down on the table and pass it to the player on the left.
• As the dealer draws a new card, the player will put the card the dealer just dropped in their hand and pass a face-down, unwanted card to the next player to the left.
• Game play is simultaneous. As the dealer draws, players will pickup and pass cards.
• The player to the right of the dealer will not pass to the dealer. They will instead discard face-down into a pile.
• Once someone has collected four-of-a-kind (a complete category of 4), they take a spoon from the center.
A player can either sneak a spoon (to avoid alerting the others) or outwardly grab a spoon. The player that does not get a spoon does not win. You can choose to play until there is one winner left, or just play it once during a therapy session.
I usually have all students name each card they have (vocabulary goals) and then they have to name the appropriate category.
This game includes: Body parts, Clothing, Food, Animals, Drinks, Furniture, School Supplies, Bugs/Insects, Plants, Weather Elements, Colors, People, and Transportation.
CLICK HERE TO SEE A GAME OF SPOONS IN ACTION (this is the non-language version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrxFg8emtg
Visit my store, blog, etc. for other therapy ideas/products or to contact me for questions/comments - I'd love to hear from you ☺ :
Blog: ☞ HERE ☜
TpT: ☞ HERE ☜
Facebook: ☞ HERE ☜
Instagram: ☞ HERE ☜
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
★ Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback and it helps me determine which products are most valuable to SLPs and I like hearing about how you're using the product in your speech room ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
★ Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. That's it! You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺