Caterpillar Capers is filled with innovative literacy activities that connect to Eric Carle’s, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Here are a few of the activities!
• A circle accordion book, (Text only or illustrated). It folds flat but opens into a caterpillar!
• A caterpillar stair-step book. (Text only or illustrated.)
• The Life Cycle of the Butterfly illustrated on a circle that folds into a triangle book.
• An innovation of 5 Little Ducks (Caterpillars) Went Out One Day to read and dramatize!
• See how to “grow” caterpillars from grass seed and trim the “hair!” Great for spring science!
• Vibrant Pocket Chart pictures for retelling the story.
•An innovation of Eric Carle’s, Today is Monday: All you hungry caterpillars come and read with me!
• An egg pattern with a writing template for informational text writing using Chicken’s Aren’t the Only Ones, by Ruth Heller.
• A homework or in class activity for retelling the Hungry Caterpillar Story in sequential order.
There are 80 pages
Common Core Standards: RL.K.2, RL.K.3, RL.K.6, RL.K.7, RL.K.10, RF.K.1a, RF.K.4, W.K.2