NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book. Note: Because the answers are one-word, for the most part, I recommend that students use a thesaurus rather than a dictionary to solve the puzzle.
Examples of clues:
* I listened meekly, but my whole self shudders at the thought of belonging to the DESPICABLE Shaggy Beard. (ant.)ANSWER: wonderful
* I do not know if the TURMOIL of the liver I am suffering is because of George or because I had two portions of eel pie for supper. (syn.) ANSWER: trouble
* I have been spending EXCESSIVE time curing other people’s ale head... (ant: Not ___) ANSWER: enough
* William Steward grew SMITTEN and made flowery speeches to her... (___-struck; syn.) ANSWER: love
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
Note: The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY edition of Bookmarks Plus. See product list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY 50-word Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See product list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
* Bookmarks Plus: CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY
Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY 50-word Prereading Crossword Puzzle—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Catherine Called Birdy edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Catherine Called Birdy synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY Synonym/Antonym Crossword Puzzle—Includes the sentences from the book!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-wise Educational Products
—more than 800 unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!