"To me, the religious parallels have always been obvious. But I never wanted to talk too openly about it because I thought it might show people who just wanted the story where we were going."
- J.K. Rowling, 2007
This years in the making resource contains over 200(!) specifically highlighted Christian themes and connections from the Harry Potter series in 22 pages of an editable Word document for you to comb through and use however you see fit:
- If you’re a Religion teacher, you now have an abundance of examples and jumping off points to help you shed light on important truths of the Catholic faith. Use passages from the books or video clips from the movies to springboard your classes into highly engaging discussions on a multitude of topics or simply sprinkle these connections into your everyday lessons.
- If you’re an English teacher, you now have a plethora of talking points and hidden gems to amaze your students with and draw them closer to Christ.
- If you’re a fan of Harry Potter, you now have secret access to Gospel treasures that will make you want to read, watch, and discuss this great story again and again.
As educators, we sometimes have to dig deep to find fun and relevant ways to bring the Gospel to our students. The treasure has already been dug up and organized for you, now all you have to do is share it and watch your students’ interest and faith come alive!
I was pretty late to the Harry Potter party. My wife had told me for years to give the books a try, but stuck in my own world of reading non-fiction (usually books on Catholic theology) I just never gave it much thought. Upon being givenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: Illustrated Editionas a Christmas gift in 2015, I finally decided to give the books a shot… Long story short, I flew through the first book and immediately began reading the rest of the series.
As a middle school theology teacher, I often tell my students to put on their “Jesus Goggles” and search for “Catholic Treasure” in the movies, music, and novels they are consuming. As I continued to read through the Harry Potter series I couldn’t help but notice all kinds of Catholic themes and connections within them. Thinking there might be something to this, I searched online to see if anyone else had taken note of this. I didn’t have to search far: John Granger of had already written extensively about the Christian content and value of Harry Potter, as had others (see the Sourcessection at the bottom of this document).
Feeling validated, I began sharing some of these connections with students of mine who had also grown to love the Harry Potter series. Time and again, I was given the gift of seeing looks of joy and amazement on my students’ faces as they began to see these connections for the first time themselves.
Bishop Robert Barron speaks of “uncovering inklings of the Gospel, which can then lead people to God” by finding “” in the world all around us. I believe the immensely famous Harry Potter series provides us with a vast amount of “seeds of the Word” that have largely been untouched. I believe it’s time to discover the rich Catholic treasure within Harry Potter and begin evangelizing the countless number of young and old alike who have fallen (and continue to fall!) in love with this remarkable story.
I know there have been some concerns raised in the past about the possible dangers of Harry Potter (because of magic and wizardry in the series). I, like many other Catholic educators, believe these concerns are largely overblown on a number of levels. If you would like to know why Harry Potter should not, in fact, be labeled as “evil” or “dangerous”, please check out the following:
Howdy! My name is Greg Aitchison, a husband, father, and 14-year teacher of the Catholic faith. If you’re a teacher looking for fun, engaging, and inspiring resources that’ll and help your students become “mini-theologians” and “big-time SAINTS”, then you’ve come to the right place!
⭐⭐⭐ 5 AND THINGS TO DO:
1. Become a part of Join my e-mail list to get a bunch of freebies, enjoy great sales, and be the first to hear about all kinds of brand-new content! (*If you don’t love all the awesomeness, you can of course unsubscribe whenever you want.)
2. Click the “Follow Me” star at the top of this page to be notified of flash sales and new resources as soon as they’re available!
3. Get some ! Every time you give feedback for a product you have purchased, Teachers Pay Teachers will give you “feedback credits” that you can use to lower the cost of any of your future purchases. Just go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login), click the text that says Provide Feedback (beside each purchase), and leave a review! My goal is to and your feedback helps me do just that! It means A TON to me to get a 5-star review. Not only does it encourage other buyers to check out my products, but it inspires me to create even more fun and engaging resources!
4. Check out for all kinds of awesome Catholic merch (posters, stickers, coffee mugs, and more!). There are of designs to choose from, including posters for your classroom that can literally change the lives of your students. Don’t believe me? Check out my blog post, to see just how much of a game-changer I found posters to be in my classroom.
5. Visit my website, for even more resources and inspiration! ✝️
Thanks for stopping by!
Questions, comments, or just want to say “Hi!”? Drop me a line anytime! E-mail: Greg@CatholicReligionTeacher.com
Copyright © Catholic Religion Teacher - Products are for use by the original purchaser only and are bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author.