Students will learn to identify causes and effects in a nonfiction text and write paragraphs using cause and effect text structure with transitional words.
Do you need a unique, cause and effect activity for your lesson? Rap music is your answer!
Based on a Jackie Robinson, biography rap song, these activities explore his youth, his excellence and pursuit in sports, and the events that led him to play Major League Baseball. The events throughout the song give students excellent practice with identifying cause and effect in text.
The song for this activity is told from Jackie Robinson's perspective as an autobiography. It is also written as a cause and effect reading passage covering his childhood, his struggles throughout life due to discrimination, and how endured to become a Major League Baseball player and symbol for civil rights. The cause and effect activities for the passage challenge students to identify cause and effect elements in Robinson's life.
Listen to the full song on TpT for free coming soon!
This resource includes:
- the song lyrics
- a writing activity
- 10 multiple-choice, questions based on the song lyrics with the answer key
- a activity that utilizes the graphic organizer with a word bank of transitional words.
How to use this resource:
- Students will listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Students will then complete the cause and effect, graphic organizer on page 1 using the information from the song.
- Next, students will answer the cause and effect questions on pages 4 and 5 using the graphic organizer.
- Students will then complete the paragraph writing activity on page 6.
- The answer keys are located on the final pages of the activity.
*Leave a review if you would like to see more activities like these.*
You may also like:
Copyright © 2020 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
By Bob Sandberg, Look photographerRestoration by Adam Cuerden - This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID ppmsc.00048., Public Domain,
Used under / Originals have been digitally mixed with other media.
*Font for "Rap Opera ... Kids. History. Reading. Math. And More... School Just Went Beast Mode. Educate. Entertain. Empower!" text by http://www.junkohanhero.com