The following is a two lesson, two-day (75 minute periods) bundle on the Causes and Effects of the Great Depression. This worksheet includes a variety of activities that promote class discussion and critical thinking skills. Purchase this bundle and save $1.00 compared to purchasing both separately!
Causes of the Great Depression - US History - Common Core
Students will analyze the people/groups/issues that were potentially responsible for the Depression and determine who/what was to blame the most. The activities in this lesson include:
• A do now that ask students to briefly analyze the decade of the 1920s – serves as an excellent review and bridge to the Great Depression
• “The Great Depression Blame Game” – In partners or small groups, students will read secondary source material about five major potential causes of the Great Depression. After each brief reading, students will answer a series of questions – some fact based, others opinions, and discuss the answers with their partners.
• Students will then rank the causes from most important to least important
• Finally, students will advise President Hoover on specific steps to take to slow, halt, or reverse the Depression.
NEW! - Answer key included!
Effects of the Great Depression - US History Common Core
• Do now that reviews from previous lessons and appropriately sets up the lesson.
• Song lyrics analysis – Brother Can You Spare a Dime? – song available on Youtube or Itunes. – includes questions.
• Migrant Mother analysis – includes several critical thinking and thought provoking questions.
• Herbert Hoover on Self-Reliance – primary source analysis, questions, and discussion.
• Link to youtube video – Welcome to Hooverville – includes questions.
• Analysis of the Bonus Army March, the Election of 1932, and FDR’s first inaugural address – includes questions.
• Endless opportunities for class discussion!
• Fill-in-the-blank notes (includes answers)
NEW ! Answer key included!
Please check each individual worksheet listing for the common core standards met in each lesson.
Also available on TPT:
The New Deal - US History Common Core
The Great Depression and the New Deal - US History/APUSH Common Core
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Follow me to receive notifications for newly uploaded products. If you have a moment, please rate this worksheet. Thank you!