Causes of the Civil War
Causes of the Civil War Graphic Organizer Activity
Sectionalism, Slavery, States' Rights, Secession
Events Leading Up to the Civil War Graphic Organizer Activity
• U.S. Constitution
• Rise of Abolitionist Movement
• Underground Railroad
• Missouri Compromise
• Free Soil Party
• Compromise of 1850
• Fugitive Slave Law
• Uncle Tom's Cabin
• Kansas-Nebraska Act
• Caning of Charles Sumner
• "Bleeding Kansas"
• Dred Scott v. Sandford
• Creation of the Republican Party
• Lincoln-Douglas Debates
• John Brown's Raid
• Election of 1860
• Firing at Fort Sumter, South Carolina
Aim: How did many events ignite the Civil War?
Included in this download:
• Title page
• Do Now - Causes of the Civil War graphic organizer for student completion using notes and knowledge of the causes of the Civil War and Social Studies
• Graphic Organizer with 18 events leading up to the Civil War for student completion using notes and knowledge of causes of the Civil War and Social Studies
• Application/Closing/Higher Order Thinking Question for student understanding and application
• Answer Key for Teachers
★★ POWERPOINT PRESENTATION INCLUDED! Want to use this lesson as a whole group discussion? The secured PowerPoint presentation is included! (You will not be able to edit)
Students will research, analyze, and use their critical thinking skills to complete the graphic organizer.
Adheres to Social Studies Common Core Standards - research, application, literacy, vocabulary, argument
Differentiation: scaffolding questions, cooperative (may work with a partner(s) according to teacher's discretion for activities)
★ You can find all of my Civil War lessons and activities HERE!
Buy the BUNDLE
•• This product is also included in the Civil War UNIT BUNDLE!
★★ Looking for the digital, 1:1 version of this resource? Find it here!
Events Leading Up to the Civil War Activity Google Drive ASSL
Cover page digital paper by Ashley Hughes
© 2012 A Social Studies Life
For personal use only. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote.