This CELEBRATE THE WORK OF ERIC CARLE ACTIVITY SET contains TEACHER-CREATED activities that can be used to extend three of Eric Carle's stories: A House for Hermit Crab, The Hungry Caterpillar, and The Tiny Seed. There are 28 original teacher-created, printable
activities in 44 PDF files. Included:
HERMIT CRABS (Extends A HOUSE FOR HERMIT CRAB)
1. A Year in the Life of Hermit Crab: Match the description of who hermit crab met each month to the correct month on the mat.
2. What Does It Look Like?: Draw a line to match the sea creature from the story with the words used to describe it in A House for Hermit Crab.
3. Addition Game: Draw an addition game card. Move your crab token to the next shell that has the correct sum. The person who makes it to the last shell first wins.
4. Vocabulary Match: Read the definition of each vocabulary word on the vocabulary cards. Then, look at the vocabulary picture page. Circle the vocabulary word under the picture that best describes it.
5. ABC Order: Put the vocabulary cards in ABC order.
6. Size Ordering: Put the five hermit crab pictures in size order from smallest to largest.
7. Hermit Crab Diagram: Label the diagram of the hermit crab using the word from the box.
8. Number Comparison: Compare the numbers in each house using or =.
9. Creative Writing Activity: The hermit crab's shell is his home. It provides him with safety. Write a sentence telling why your home is important to you. Draw a picture of your home.
10. Memory Match Game: Turn over the set of picture cards and word cards. Play a memory match game to match each picture from the story with its correct name.
11. Where Does It Live? Place the cut outs to show where you would find them. (On the shore, on the rocks/tidal pool or in the ocean.)
12. Activity Letter: Explains how to do each activity
13. Binder Cover
CATERPILLARS & BUTTERFLIES: (Extends THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR)
1. Alphabet Sequencing: Fill in the missing letters in the Alphabet sequence caterpillars. There is a page for uppercase letters and one for lowercase
2. Days of the Week Ordering: Put the days of the week cards in the correct order.
3. Healthy or Not?: Sort out the foods according to whether they are healthy or unhealthy.
4. Story Sequencing: Put the food items on the day of the week cards to show
what day the caterpillar ate each food. (Use the food cutouts and the days of the week cards.)
5. Butterfly Life Cycle: Put the life cycle cards in order to show the life cycle of
6. Initial Sounds: Match the picture to the consonant or consonant blend you hear at the beginning of the word. (One side is consonants and the other is consonant blends.)
7. Addition: Match the butterfly addition card to the cocoon card with the correct sum.
8. Rhyming Cards: Match together the rhyming pairs on the caterpillar cards.
9. Measuring: Measure each of the four objects using the caterpillar measuring stick.
10. Activity Letter: Explains how to do each activity
11. Binder Cover
SEEDS TO FLOWERS: (Extends THE TINY SEED)
1. Story Retelling Wheel: Retell the story using the seasons and the pictures on the story wheel.
2. Measuring Activity: Measure the parts of the flower using dry beans (provided by the teacher). (Measurements include circumference, length,
3. Rhyming Flowers: Match each rhyming word on the flower to its rhyming word partner on the stem.
4. Plant Life Cycle Sequence: Put the four cards showing the life cycle of a plant into the correct order (seed, sprout, buds and flowering plant)
5. Seed or Child Sort: Sort out the items on the page by whether they are needed to help a seed or a child grow taller.
6. Flower Pattern: Finish each pattern by adding the correct cutout to the blank.
7. Parts of Flower Diagram: Label the parts of the flower on the diagram (petal, stem, seed pod, roots)
8. Hundreds Chart Picture: Follow the directions given on the instruction sheet to create a beautiful flower picture on the hundreds chart.
9. Activity Letter: Explains how to do each activity
10. Binder Cover