Cell Organelle Activity - Making Analogies to Random Things
This activity is a fun way for students to be creative and think critically about the cell parts. Can they make a connection between a random object (thumb tack, spoon, eraser?) and the function of a cell organelle? One hundred percent digital and NO PREP- perfect for a Sub day.
Fully editable! Feel free to add, delete, or change the slides to include different cell parts.
Depending on your students, sometimes it is best that they do the activity on their own - but working in pairs or groups of three can lead to fun conversations and even debates about the best object for each analogy.
Typically I let my Academic students choose objects that are analogies to the shape OR function of a cell part. My honors students must choose objects that are analogies to the function of the part only. This takes more thinking and leads to better understanding of the cell parts themselves. The instructions on the slides currently says ‘structure or function’ - but you may change that if you prefer!
It is fun to share what students have come up with. Time permitting, let your students pick their favorite 1-3 analogies to share with the class, or even to a small group of students. This also serves as additional reinforcement and review for the cell parts.
Consider even holding a contest for ‘best analogy’ - either overall or for each cell part. Extra credit for the winner(s) is a great motivator - be sure to tell students ahead of time so that they come up with their best analogies!
Includes a detailed Teaching Guide!
NOTE - if you are looking for a similar activity, but a bit more involved, check out . Students are tasked with choosing ANY object at home or at school and making an analogy with it to a cell part. Students take a picture of the object and embed it into the provided Google Slide template!
Looking for more cell resources?
- NEW! Cell Membrane Transport Activity, Hands On Cell Membrane Model | Digital + PrintLet your students SEE membrane transport by making it on their desk, or drag and drop on the computer!
- Cell Organelle Notes and Activity - Digital and Printable! NO PREP, students work independently to complete, great for a Sub or distance learning!
- Cell Parts Review Dot Game!
- Cell Membrane Transport and Homeostasis Doodle Notes
- Cell Video: Hidden Life of the Cell (BBC) Video Guide
- Biology Cells Writing Prompts Exit Tickets, Review- Distance Learning
- Cell Parts & Membrane Transport Review- Distance Learning | DIGITAL Google Forms
Here are some more ready to go Digital Resources!
- History of Life on Earth | Evolution of Life | Paper or DIGITAL Google Slides
- Evolution and Natural Selection Review | DIGITAL Paperless | Google Forms Data
- Cladogram Evolution Activity - What Did T.rex Taste Like? NO PREP!
- Phylogenetic Trees: Guide for 'All in the Family' online activity - NO PREP!
- Go Go Stem Cells - online digital activity
- Forensic Science Careers Project - Make a Digital Poster! NO PREP!
- Photosynthesis Online Activity Guided Notes