1. Students are required to place their mobile phones in the "Cell Phone Sanctuary" before class begins daily and are only removed during class at my discretion.
2. Reading during English class occurs on paper books only.
3. An empty cell phone pocket indicates that a student is absent.
4. Since attendance is taken using the Cell Phone Sanctuary pockets, these laminated cards respectfully accommodate students who do not have a phone for any reason.
5. I instruct students that forgetting to place the card early in the year will result in a reminder or two. After a short adjustment period, an empty pocket = reported absence.
However, if a student places a "no cell phone" card, and is then seen WITH their phone, their behavior is treated as deliberately dishonest.
6. I use two clear, shoe organizers side-by-side near by desk, so no students disturb any one else's phone.
7. I have enjoyed complete parent support for this method of monitoring student cell phone use during class