Cells and pH - A Biochemistry Homeostasis Enzyme Lab
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This complete teaching unit on "Biochemistry: The Chemistry of Life" includes everything you need to teach this unit to your life science or biology students. Many of the resources are available in BOTH printable and digital formats. Resources include an 88-Slide Powerpoint presentation packed witPrice $45.99Original Price $60.45Save $14.46
- Five of my best-selling complete teaching bundles are included in this one Super-Mega-Bundle! This bundle includes all of the PowerPoints, notes, labs, task cards, homework assignments, review games, quizzes, activities, and unit tests that you need to teach complete and comprehensive units on cellPrice $195.00Original Price $261.84Save $66.84
- Nothing generates excitement like a great lab activity. Whether the topic is cells, biochemistry, genetics, mitosis, or the compound microscope, these 15 Must-Do Labs will ensure your students master the concepts. From DNA to dichotomous keys to enzymes, this bundle provides quality lab activities oPrice $37.00Original Price $48.99Save $11.99
- This complete teaching bundle on Enzymes, Catalysts, and the Chemical Reactions of the Cell teaches important concepts such as the role of enzymes in cells, activation energy, substrates, active sites, and the lock and key hypothesis of enzyme functioning. Detailed list of topics is found below.It'sPrice $29.99Original Price $39.73Save $9.74
- This NO PREP, PRINTABLE, EDITABLE, AND DIGITAL Biology Curriculum contains everything you need for an entire year of Biology! For less than $3 a day, you can save your time, energy, and sanity. Each of the 20 Complete Units includes a teaching PowerPoint presentation, notes, labs, homework assignmenPrice $535.00Original Price $982.16Save $447.16
How Do Living Cells Deal With Changes in pH? This biochemistry lab will clearly show that cells are able to maintain homeostasis in a changing environment. The biochemical activities of living tissues frequently tend to change the pH of the cell environment. Yet life depends upon maintaining a balance (homeostasis) that will not inactivate the enzymes and other proteins working in that tissue.
Can living tissues maintain a neutral pH under changing conditions? This is the question that students will investigate in this lab. Students will observe that living cells (liver and potato) can adapt and adjust the pH of the cell environment when an acid or base is added to their surroundings. Living cells produce buffers to maintain a stable pH. This lab never fails to work properly, and my students are always amazed at the ability of a living cell to maintain a stable pH.
This inquiry-based lab allows students to discover how living cells use enzymes to maintain a stable (neutral) pH within the cell.
Materials required for this lab:
- pH meter
- 50 mL Beaker
- .1N HCl
- 250 mL beaker
- .1N NaOH
- 400 mL Beaker
- Liver and potato homogenates
- Graph Paper
- pH 7 buffer solution
Your download will include a lab that is ready to be copied and passed out to your students. The student copy is a 4 page handout. Students can write on these handouts to fill in their data and answer all questions.
A Teacher Guide is included that includes:
- Preparation of solutions
- Answers to all questions
- Set Up Instructions
- Tips and suggestions for successful completion of the lab.
I have included both a pdf version and a Word document for your use.
Related Products Include:
Biochemistry: Complete Bundled Unit Plan of 14 products
The Chemistry of Biology Powerpoint and Notes
Enzymes Color By Number Activity
Lab: Testing for Organic Compounds in Foods
Lab: Catalase in Plant and Animal Cells
Biology Buzz Words: Biochemistry and The Chemistry of Life
Organic Compounds Homework or Quiz
Lab: Release of Heat in an Enzymatic Reaction
Biochemistry Homework Assignment and Study Guide Worksheets
Biochemistry Quizzes - Set of 2
Biochemistry Jeopardy Review Games - Set of 2
Test: The Chemistry of Life (Biochemistry)
The Properties of Water That Make Life on Earth Possible PowerPoint with Notes
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com