In this 3-4 day activity, students examine 25 censorship situations from current events and research the facts behind them. It's perfect for Banned Books Week, English, libraries, debate, and media studies classes.
- Recommended for: Grades 8+
- Lesson duration: 3-4 lessons of 40 minutes each
- Editable: YES, most text is editable.
- Formats: PDF, PPT, Google Slides
- Detailed lesson plan (5 pages, PDF only)
- 8 group discussion cards (2 pages, all three formats)
- "Is It Censorship" worksheets (5 pages, 25 total situations, all three formats)
- Assignment graphic organizer: Research one of the situations. (1 page, all three formats)
- Group discussion cards
- Includes 8 hypothetical questions about different kinds of censorship
- "Is It Censorship?" worksheet and group discussion
- Includes 25 scenarios taken straight from current events. Students have to determine if these are censorship and whether or not they are acceptable.
- There are five different worksheets, each with five different situations. Students can complete one worksheet, then group according to which worksheet they did. All worksheets are labeled with a letter in the corner so students can group quickly by the letter of their worksheet.
- Researching the real-life situations behind the scenarios on the worksheet.
- I provided links to news articles about all 25 current events.
- This activity could be extended further into a class debate or a written research paper about the event.
- 10 situations occurred outside school. These are stories in global and USA news. : A celebrity sues a newspaper for publishing unauthorized photos of her minor child.
- 15 situations occurred at school. All of these are in USA schools, but the states vary. : At graduation, the Valedictorian’s microphone is cut off when she starts to say things that were not in her pre-approved speech.
I regularly add new products for school librarians and English teachers to my store.
and receive notifications of when new products are posted. All new products are 50% off for the first 48 hours.