Thee mini thematic units for real beginners.
Do not wait to introduce Cervantes, Picasso and the King of Spain, Felipe VI until your students are «ready.» Writers, painters and kings! What a combination! Introduce these Spanish icons to beginners.
Unit 1. Miguel de Cervantes y sor Juana
Two icons. A man and a woman. Two writers they have never heard about. Work on cognates, famoso, importante, autor, poeta. The pre-reading prepares the short reading and it is packed with information. Yes, it is possible to do culture with beginners!
Unit 2. Pablo Picasso
Another icon, in this case a painter. My students really liked the paintings. Practice ¿cómo se llama?, practice ser and llamar which are often confusing for the students. All in context. How many students have you corrected when they said, ¿Cómo es tu nombre? Yikes. I don´t want to count.
Unit 3. Felipe VI
The family! Everyone teaches the family in Spanish 1. Here is the Spanish king´s family, parents, grandparents, children. Language in context! The students find out that Spain is a constitutional monarchy and learn or review the vocabulary of the family. What more can you ask?
Here is what the units include. Please click on Preview to read them.
1. Subject matter: introduction to Spanish literature, art and history
2. Vocabulary: basic literary; basic art; royal family
3. Grammar: articles; agreement; interrogative pronouns
4. Oral practice: Cervantes; music and art;the King´s family
5. Homework: book; change paragraph to 3rd person; my family
6. Internet: Key word list to facilitate a search
7. Answer key
ALSO AVAILABLE IN AN "ARTS BUNDLE" THAT INCLUDES:
1. Goya / Gaudí / Rodrigo; 3 interdisciplinary thematic units - SP Beginners 1
2. Cervantes and Sor Juana / Picasso / Felipe VI; 3 thematic units - SP Beginners 1
3. Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros / Indigenous cultures: 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 1
4. Fernando Botero / Cartega de Indias; 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 1
5. Las Meninas / Felipe II; 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 2
(You get ALL five for the price of four)