***Hispanic Heritage Month!*** In this ready-to-go biographical article and activity mini-unit about Cesar Chavez, the civil rights leader who fought for better working conditions for migrant workers in the U.S., Beginner to Intermediate ESL students practice reading and responding to informational text.It can be used for an in-class activity, homework, or an emergency sub plan. I designed this product with upper-level elementary, middle school, and high school ESL students in mind because I often find resources that are appropriate for my students' language levels, but not their age levels. Included in this product are:
1. Cesar Chavez biography (2 pages)
2. Vocabulary: Academic vocabulary (Tier 2 & 3 words) in bold print throughout reading. Vocabulary chart, adapted from Learner's Dictionary, at the end of the reading with definitions. Parts of speech and singular/plural nouns are also identified in the chart.
3. Spelling Practice: Students unscramble vocabulary words and write the correct spelling in sentences taken from the reading.
4. Vocabulary Practice: Students complete cloze sentences with the correct vocabulary words. Sentences are out of the context of the reading.
5. Vocabulary Cards: Words and definitions on cards. Great for matching activities, such as Memory, or word walls.
6. Grammar: Students conjugate verbs from reading into past tense.
7. Text feature ID: Students identify text features like title, subheadings, topic and concluding sentences, and sequence of events.
8. Question Annotation: Students underline question word once, verbs twice, and circle the subject.
9. Reading Comprehension: After students annotate questions, they answer reading comprehension questions using complete sentences.
10. Cause and Effect worksheet based on reading.
11. Paragraph Writing Outline: Topic sentence, details, examples, concluding sentence.
12. Paragraph Writing Template
13. CCSS Alignment and Teaching Tips
Hispanic Heritage Month for ESL: 3 Biographical Articles with Activities
ESL Human Rights Leaders Informational Texts, Activities, & Final Hero Project
Martin Luther King, Jr. Biographical Article & Activities
Malala Biographical Article & Activities
Mandela Biographical Article & Activities
Gandhi Biographical Article & Activities
Aung San Suu Kyi Biographical Article & Activities
Roberto Clemente Biographical Article & Activities
Harriet Tubman Biographical Article and Activities for ESL
U.S. Presidents for ESL: George Washington (CCSS aligned)
Benjamin Franklin Biographical Article and Activities for ESL
Frida Kahlo Biographical Article & Activities