This collection of worksheets goes with The Bad Beginning, book 1 in A Series of Unfortunate Events. It includes Word and PDF versions of each document. If you are using the Word documents the font I used for the headings is Chiller which I downloaded for free from http://www.fontspace.com/. The page numbers listed on the chapter questions are the pages in the paperback version of the book.
• A pre-reading activity using the blurb on the back of the hard cover book. The assignment has students locate words in the blurb that have a negative connotation , use those words in a sentence, write a short story using the words, and illustrate from the blurb.
• Questions for each chapter (1-12)
• Four worksheets asking students to define words in each chapter based on how Lemony Snicket defines them in the reading, writing down what Sunny’s babbles mean, and what certain expressions and phrases Lemony Snicket uses throughout the book mean.
• A reading comprehension worksheet on food safety that can be used when discussing the children preparing a meal for Count Olaf’s theater troupe.
• A creative writing prompt for students to write about where they think the Baudelaire orphans will live next.