Also included in
- This unit bundle for The Pearl by John Steinbeck guides and challenges students to analyze plot, characterization, conflict, and symbolism in the classic novella. This resource includes nonfiction background activities, projects and vocabulary materials, full lessons, a study guide, and a final test$18.99$29.12Save $10.13
This Character Analysis lesson for Interactive Notebooks (ISNs) works with any novel. It uses video clips, fairy tales, and a PowerPoint to introduce students to the concept of analyzing character, and then moves to the target text. Students finish with an analytical essay about a character in the text. I use this with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, but this resource includes an editable essay prompt that you can use with the text of your choice. (grades 6-10)
1. Character Analysis Lesson and PPT
2. Brainstorming Chart for Interactive Notebooks
3. Character Analysis Essay Prompt for Tom Sawyer
4. Character Analysis Essay Prompt for any novel (.doc - editable)
5. Choice of analytic or holistic rubrics (.doc - editable)
6. Set-up and advice for Interactive Notebook spreads
Tom Sawyer Vocabulary Activities Pack This vocabulary resource pack for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain contains word lists, Interactive Notebook foldables, a Context Clues lesson, and vocabulary quizzes to help your students engage with and learn new words. You get your choice of word lists (have students find definitions, or definitions and the quote) and your choice of foldables (flaps or flash cards). For use with or without Interactive Notebooks.
Tom Sawyer Descriptive Essay - Students compare/contrast a "model boy/girl" or "troublemaker" from Twain's time (as per Tom's description in the novel) to ours. Includes guidelines, rubrics (holistic and analytic), and brainstorming worksheet. Includes an editable .doc version.
Scrapbook Project - Students create a "scrapbook" from tic-tac-toe style prompts based on Bloom's Taxonomy. This includes a choice of nine creative and analytical tasks and two mandatory tasks.
Did you know that you can receive credit towards future TpT purchases by reviewing this product? If you enjoy this product, please leave a review at the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TpT. Ratings make the TpT world go round. :)
You can also follow me for the latest news on products and sales.
If you have any questions, I’d love to hear from you!
-Danielle @ Nouvelle ELA
Pinterest: Nouvelle ELA Teaching Resources
Facebook: Nouvelle ELA
Blog: Danielle @ Nouvelle ELA