Jump start your year talking about building character with these fun back to school read alouds and activities. This is a 12 lesson unit that helps build student confidence and set ground rules for your classroom. This unit goes along with 12 great back to school book favorites, but could also be used without the books.
You might consider finding the following texts or looking on YouTube for a recording of the following books:
- My Teacher and Me (Al Yankovich)
- My Mouth is a Volcano
- He's Been a Monster All Day
- The Day the Crayons Quit
- The Recess Queen
- The Kissing Hand
- Billy Bully
- How Full is Your Bucket?
- The Dot
- Ruby the Copycat
- Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon
- The Giving Tree
The activities in this unit include:
- I Wish My Teacher Knew... (craft)
- My Mouth is a Volcano (class bulletin board or individual craft)
- Monster Manners (sort positive and negative choices at school)
- School Supply Responsibility - Dear Crayons, (funny letter writing activity)
- Recess Kings/Queens - (crown craft, review recess manners)
- Kissing Hand Craft (talk about showing love/respect)
- 10 Ways to Make Friends at Recess (partner/group poster activity)
- Bucket Fillers Craft (talk about kindness)
- The Dot Art Project (talk about individuality)
- Silhouette Worksheet (talk about personality on inside and character traits on the outside that make students unique)
- My Talent Will Blow You Away (Craft or Worksheet - 2 options to highlight student talents)
- The Giving Tree Craft (talk about sharing)
This unit is perfect for all grade levels. It can also be used throughout the year to revamp your classroom climate and spirit.
If you enjoyed this product, please leave feedback below. To see more of my resources, follow my TPT store or on instagram @the.mountain.teacher .