Before students can truly appreciate and analyze character traits in text, they need to have an exposure to a smattering of traits, characters, character actions and their quotations. That’s exactly what these 300 cards, matching activities, and games do. When students match the characters, their traits, actions and/or quotations, much characterization analysis and discussion will evolve—especially while working with others (though not necessary).
I tried to lend flexibility to what not to use or use in this packet. However, it’s most feasible all 300 cards could be used over and over again during the year in the 10 structured activities and games offered (with very explicit directions--for those whom desire such). This packet was designed to support the CCSS.RL.4.3, 4.3b, 5.3, and 6.3 and CCSS.W. 3.3b, 4.3b, 5.3a, 5.3b 6.3a and 6.3b involving characterization and all following standards regarding. (This is not an explicit instructional guide to characterization but a wealth of characterization application.)
Character Trait Cards Jumbo Pack by Melissa J. Donovan includes:
• 60 pictured-character cards
• 60 trait cards
• 60 pictured-character trait cards
• 60 action cards
• 60 quotation cards
• Several sets of different step-by-step directions for matching cards
• Several games and specific directions for students
• Simple card preparation and housing options
• Character trait glossary/examples; adventurous, charitable, disorganized, heartless, kind, nervous, proud, rebellious, skillful, sociable, stern, thorough
• Card-matching answer key chart
Enjoy hours of fun and learning. Until Next Time!
Special Note: Even though there is some card preparation involved, it will be well worth the effort--especially if you plan on using the cards and activities throughout the year and the next. The options are endless—part of lessons, team matching, stations, Daily Five, interventions, individual down time, games, etc.
Character Trait Cards Jumbo Pack
by Melissa J. Donovan
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License